You know, I always used to dread it when my dad would come home and say, "I'm bored." Usually, in unison, my mother and I would look at each other and go, "Awww, crap..." That usually meant that it was time to start packing the house up because a move was pending. It usually happened every 5 years or sometimes less.
Well, now it's my turn, except it wasn't the "I'm bored" statement, it was, "Honey, I'd really like to keep my job and the time has come to do a little positioning to keep it." In other words, the warning has finally come to fruition and our management has started asking telecommuters to come back into the office and the ones they really want to keep they want to centralize near the appropriate office, meaning Maitland.
Today I have spent a better part of 7 hours coming through home listings, looking at pictures, comparing the room sizes, the square footage, amenities and all to determine if it is the future home of the Haithcocks. Not a fun task when done for that long. But me and my anal self, I had to scrutinize the pictures... I mean let's face it, if the front of the house looks crappy or the wall paper in EVERY room looks like it stepped out of a pink flamingo disco, you tend to not consider that to be a family friendly abode. (I have a few friends who would argue that point, but I am snobby when it comes to my family - neon green and pink? OUT...) then after that, I had to figure out the distance between the possibilities to my new office. Now granted, if you were looking here in ATL, then a 20 mile commute will not be an acceptable distance... however, since we are leaving the ATL metro, I allowed some distance between home and work. The choices further out are always going to give you more bang for the buck and with my kids getting older, more room for bang is NECESSARY.
Not one of the choices was outside of a subdivision with an HOA, either. My lucky days are gone. I guess it's time to pack up the 20 foot flag pole and 5 foot blue flamingo (I'm kidding!!!!). I never really had much to worry about when it comes to the bylaws of subdivisions. I am very conservative for my yard decorations... we have NONE. I prefer roses and day lilies.
In all honestly though, I am kind of excited for some of possibilities, it's just a boring perspective and hard to do from this distance. So I guess it's safe to say that I'll be making a trip to Florida soon to start the scouting and that I'll either be hounding Brian about this house soon or getting it ready for the market. Either way, I see some stressful posts in my future.
Since it is a Saturday night, though, I am going to get my kids ready for bed, then I am going to kick some Dragon Age: Origins ass for the rest of the night.
Until l8r,
Kel
Don't lie -- you were bored. :)
ReplyDeleteSrsly, though... best of luck. Moves are stressful, interstate moves even more so.
Good luck with the move, Kelly!
ReplyDeletePersonally, I love moving! This past year I realized that I have lived in my current home for 7 years and my feet started to get itchy. I know that it is much more challenging with kids but I am sure it will all work out for you!
Happy New Year too!