Tuesday, January 15, 2008

SBD Challenge Assignment

What is your main Challenge goal? For example, is it to lose weight? To address specific health conditions? To eat more nutritious foods? To become healthier overall?

My main challenge in the goal is to ingrain the SBD way of living into my daily habits and make my choices a 2nd nature rather than having to analyze it at each meal. I want it to be my first choice every time rather than wanting the fast foods and the sweets. While the cravings have gone for the most part, there are always the temptations to avoid. I want it to become second nature to pass up those temptations and not even worry about it. In doing so this help me become healthier and therefore happier. The ultimate goal in reaching my desired weight would be to finally come off of my BP medicines and have a lesser impact of my asthma. Again things I can attain by taking better care of myself by living the South Beach Diet way.

Have you tried healthy eating plans in the past that haven't worked — or made New Year's resolutions to become healthier — but then fallen off track?

I have done both healthy eating plans and new years resolutions. My first "real" attempt at a diet was on the Weight Watchers program and counting points. I would say we were on it for about 6 months and I lost 26 lbs. The second time wasn't really a diet program as much as it was taking care of myself by diet during my pregnancy with my 2nd child, Alex. I had gestational diabetes and learned about watching my carbs, taking my glucose levels and having bi monthly testing until he was born. I was fortunate in that I didn't keep the diabetes after he was born. However once I had my son, I went right back to eating the way that I did and gained all of my weight back (yes, I actually lost weight in pregnancy). That is what led me to SBD. I realized that it wasn't that much different other than I didn't have to "count" my carbs for my meal. The right choices based upon what was in the lists for SBD kept those numbers under control.

Why is this the right time for you to start the Challenge?

I restarted back in August of 2007 after a bumpy start in '06 and have been pretty faithful to the diet. I had wandered to what we call the boardwalk in Nov and December due to dealing with my father's death and the stress around the holidays. I realized right after Christmas (with only a 3lb gain) that I am almost there with the "ingrained" way of life. If I made it 2 months with only a 3 lb gain, it wouldn't take that much to get back on track and continue on down towards my goal weight.

Are your friends and family aware of your plans and prepared to support you?

I have the best family and friends any one could have. My husband is fully supportive. He always makes sure that I am eating correctly, listens to my goals, my achievements and my vent sessions for when I don't do so well. I would love for him to want to do SBD with me, but it's a choice he will have to make on his own. He does eat what I cook for dinners and such, but he still eats all the other carbs too, which I am ok with for right now. He's very supportive in helping to make sure I have alternatives when he eats that stuff and the already loves me for who I am and I couldn't ask for more. My father-in-law and his fiancĂ© are GREAT! They are even following a version of the SBD (especially after my dad passed away) because they want to be around to see their grandkids grow up and all. My best friend – all the way in Australia for 2 years supports me by listening to me vent, asking about my progress and applauding me when I do well. She also has recipes for me to try and great advice if I ever need it. She's awesome in every sense of the word. All in all, I would say I am very fortunate, especially when I read about some of the struggles the others on my boards go through (major health issues, unsupportive friends/family, and some times some of them just haven't hit that "right" attitude that knocks them over the edge to keep them on the beach regardless of what happens. Granted it's a struggle until it becomes a learned behavior, but face it, if you don't have a positive attitude towards it, then how can you expect it to be successful? Attitude is EVERYTHING! I've always been the optimist in my family, so I guess I have always learned that it's not easy but if you keep at it, keep trying, eventually you are going to be successful!

No comments:

Post a Comment