Thursday, January 17, 2008

Question of the Day from the CC Boards – 01/17/08

Today, Laurie had a great question for the rest of the boards. I wanted to save my answer so I can come back and review it for when the times are rough.


You've heard it over and over :


You need to go on a diet

She/He needs to go on a diet

Why isn't she/he on a diet ???




DIET mentality is a formula for failure. Even the word is something that sets you up for failure DIE ….it.




It also assumes you are ON a Diet and OFF the diet. It implies this is a temporary fix.


Now I don't know about you, but I KNOW I have a weight problem. I have known it for years. It is not going away and it is not something that I can just stick my head in the sand and expect it to go away.




Sure, with some modifications I can effect some changes in my metabolism and the way my body responds to fat conversion and the like, but if I do not "hard wire" these things into my life, make changes in my emotional reaction to food, then I am doomed to return to being over weight. And just cause I want life to be different, the laws of nature are not going to just change for me. If food consumed does not equal energy burned, it's storage time !


This is in my humble opinion of course, but the only way we can be successful is to own up to the fact this is a way of life that we need to make OUR WAY OF LIFE. Every time we "cheat" (DIET mentality) we put ourselves back a step. Sometimes it is worth it, sometimes it is continuing to learn the lessons. If we see this as a journey, those departures are just part of life. As long as we get back to the journey, it is just a side trip we have taken.




So today's thought for the day is to look at South Beach as they are now marketing it: SOUTH BEACH LIVING ! Cause in the true sense that is what we are doing. Making changes so we CAN live.


Live in all the ways you think, live longer, live so we can accessorize, live so we can love ourselves and others more fully ! Live so we can fully feel our lives and respond to stress without using food as a crutch. Live another day without beating ourselves up !

Live to glorify the "body electric" !


QUESTION OF THE DAY :


What one thing can you change that will make the biggest impact in changing you way of thinking about "DIETing" How can you make this WOL/WOE truly yours now that you are here.


Great words of wisdom from a true inspiration.


You know, I've been on these boards (the 2nd time around) since August and the only thing I have noticed from those who succeed - Laurie, Ainslie, Maria, Becks, Deb, Ernie, Pamela, Babs, Marlyn, etc (more than 30 lbs,40 lbs, 50 lbs, 60 lbs, 80 lbs and more) that this is not some fling of a hat, they don't expect it to happen over night (although they wish it did - just like the rest of us) and the one thing they do that keeps it going is their positive attitude. It has it's moments where they wonder why, how are they going to keep it up, will the stress bring them down and each and EVERY single time it happens, they pick themselves back up, dust themselves off, and get right back in the ring (so-to-speak/type) and keep on going. No matter what comes their way, they are always here (if not physically - then in spirit - I know Pamela will be back very shortly when she is able).

So when I look for a role model in following this new way of life, I don't look for the skinniest person or the ones with the quick losses, I look to those who have perservered, given the blood, sweat and tears - and yes fat in this wonderful change and will continue to move myself in that fashion as that is how I want to be viewed by the newer people coming in. I want to show them that yes, this can be done and yes it's going to take the time and effort. But - that time and effort is worth the work, it's worth making it a habit and it's worth not utilizing the old excuses to make it a way of life, not a diet.

Thanks for a great opener Laurie and thank you to all of those that have been here longer than me (and the newly successful ones too) that truly inspire me to keep the positive attitude and believe in myself.

PS: My apologies to those that I may have forgotten - Lynn, et al - if I had kept typing names, I would have lost the thoughts. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment