Great opener Z, in fact this one is making me think. I like you and Babs, used to reach for the bad foods for comfort, my downfall would always be in the form of Chocolate or Bruster's hand made ice cream (white turtle was my favorite - notice all of this is in past tense).
As many of you here know, I lost my father at the end of October to heart failure - we all knew it was coming, he had a lot of his own medical history, family history and the major part? He didn't take care of himself. Now keep in mind, I was on SBD prior to his passing so I realized that if I continued on like I was (along with feeling miserable) I would end up like him. He didn't know how to comfort himself when he was depressed or anxious. Granted he ate the wrong foods, but I don't think he ever used them for "comfort" so to speak. When he passed (yes there's a point here leading back to the topic), I found myself struggling to find ways to not only support my mother in her time of need - I am an only child and we have no other family around, but to comfort myself as well.
I leaned on DH a lot, surrounded myself with my kids a lot and sought a lot of alone time - or as Ernie would say, meditation. So I guess that is a lot of my success (although through the holidays, I just gave into temptation - there was no excuse). I no longer use food to comfort me. I do, however, see through this question, that I still need to find an acceptable method, because I still don't know what I would do in time of need. Meditation I guess is a good start and I am sure my father in law doesn't mind my visits to his house to sit in front of his calming pond, but it's not a quick visit and I probably need to work on something a little closer to home...
Oh yeah, and I come here for support... that's always the next best comfort other than a hug from DH and DC.
No comments:
Post a Comment