My mother is probably going to disown me soon if I don't call her. 11 hours of work then coming home to kids and hubby and then my brain in a gelatinous state after all is said and done. I am pretty sure the conversations that would follow wouldn't make sense to me, much less to her. Sorry Mom! I'll try to call tomorrow during work.
Speaking of work... wow. what a day. And there really was no major stress to it this time, just me fighting one report because it had 15
I think the cussing and those thoughts were more in rapid succession after about the 5th hour of working 6 hours on the report. BUT>>> the good news is, I got the report close. It'll need updates when the new fields and processes are put into place, but the pain of that one is mostly over. I won't remember anything I did to fix it when it comes time to update it but... It's there. :)
And in the mean time I am working to put a project plan together for a project, trying to learn a system to demo a report on it on Friday, getting ready for production release this weekend (which btw, we only have a minor release - thank God for small favors - literally), trying to adjust to my manager having a quick exit - I'M STILL JEALOUS, SS. :) and trying to find my place in a group that has adopted me. I am trying to figure out how to provide input to some of the things we talked about in our team meeting today. Spreading the love as far as supporting systems, sharing BA work - which I am still struggling with, because I love the technical research, I hate doing the training, I love finding and helping the programmer identify the issue and getting it done, but hate doing the documentation for testing, scripting and processes that surround it. Yes, every job regardless of how good has it's evils. Documentation is my hell. I'm good at it, but I hate it. I hate doing training too... did I mention that??? yeah I think I did. I do well with it at times, other times I ramble, talk to fast and the users can't keep up because I assume they have some sort of basic knowledge of what they are trying to learn... I have since learned in the 19 months of doing this, that it is not always the case, but yet I still continue to do it. I really think I stink at the training, but that's just my opinion.
After all that is said, I think I actually have a light load compared to the rest of my team... Never did I ever expect the words of one of my ex-executives/conversion managers, Barbara Tribble, to continue to haunt my career with her booming voice in the back of my head saying, "Bigger, better, faster, cheaper" Well, 2 out of 4 isn't bad. You pick the two that has hit the what I work on, it's actually 3 if you count work volume... The sad thing is, I can't complain about it or really bitch about it for several reasons (and this is where I get into the list for things I have learned):
1. I love the work that I do get to do from a reporting perspective. My management will tell you that I love challenges and while the report today tried to beat me, I wouldn't let it. Game on!
2. I still have a job where many others do not. I can afford the beautiful house that I live in because of my ability to do all those things I bitched about.
3. I have no suggestions on how to make it better or even ideas to through out for brain storming. The canvas for free thinking at this point, is blank.
4. I LOVE my house and I love living here in Florida. Why would I want to jeopardize that and give it up???
5. I really do like what I do for the most part, I just wish there was time to enhance it to keep it going further and my career going further. There's opportunity there, but because of work load and balancing priorities at home, I don't have time to go do the education thing. Gonna have to find a way to figure that out. I wonder if Ashleigh would be interested in learning Report Builder and Sharepoint? :)
And with that, I will close for the night, to whomever from work reads this, make sure you read the part in #5 where it says I REALLY do like what I do...
Until l8r,
Kel
No comments:
Post a Comment