Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Black Monday or Priority Reminder? You decide…

Well, it's done. It's over. Monday has come and gone. And what a horrible day it turned out to be. Sure, the rumors had started flying 2 weeks ago… layoffs are coming, did you hear? It's the start of a new year, when do you think that they'll do the reorg this year? Well, it turned out today and our group was hit majorly by the blood bath. We lost 3 resources and one manager. Now with the amount of layoffs that has been happening, you would think that we'd expect it. That we'd get used to it. The truth is, you never get used to it and while you hear the rumors, you always sit at the top of that river in royalty, the Queen of Denial. So yeah, we were shocked. We all were. We lost ½ of our team today. And it could have been more.

Just when you resolve yourself into thinking that the day couldn't get any worse, you realize that while there's a load of work to be picked up and managed and a whole lot of confusion, it is nothing compared to what those people lost. For some, it's the kick in the tush that they needed to quit complaining about the work that they have and just moving status quo for a few years or it could be that moment in time in which they make a decision to find something to make themselfs happy and its fate stepping in to help them. You also have those that will think that this was part of their own doing, that they didn't do the job well enough, that they made someone angry, someone had it out for them… They try to internalize it to justify it. Either way, it's a huge blow and it's a life changing event regardless. I am in the process of mourning the loss of my friends that I have worked with for 6 years or more and I will miss them terribly. I just wonder, though if they are delaying the inevitable for my own fate and kick in the tush. Either way, I'm going to make them pay for kicking me out of the company when it happens. I just hope I don't piss someone off enough to fire me instead of putting me on a layoff list and shopping me around the company first.

I do however understand why. The ECONOMY… It sucks. I work for a banking company. Companies are in the business to make money for the stockholders. The stock goes down in a bad economy, people lose money and other people lose jobs. It's a fact of business. It sucks completely and is unfair. Stockholders don't care about employees. COLD HARD TRUTH…

Then, when I am in the middle of my mourning and drowning my sorrows, I had a pleasant surprise. One of my best friends from high school, of whom I hadn't talked to in almost 20 years found me in facebook. It was so nice to hear from him. He's married, has 2 beautiful girls and is doing ok. We chatted like it was only a few days ago instead of years in between the time. He did let me know about his illness and told me of some of the symptoms that it causes and the ramifications if not fixed. I am sending prayers and asking anyone else reading to do so as well, that he is able to get his transplant to help make him better.

Then, I compare the paragraph I wrote to the ones above it. I think… Wait… those top two paragraphs don't mean a whole lot of anything compared to the one above this one. OK, I get it… I truly get it. Funny how friends are able to point out the obvious with only a few words.

Friends – that word means more to me than almost anything else in the world – there are a few ahead of it – Family, Frank, Ashleigh, Alex… Friends – thank you to all of my friends tonight who cared enough to ask about my day, to offer me their ear, their shoulder or were just there when I needed them. I get it. And I love you all for it.


 

Until later,

Kel

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear about the cuts, Kelly!

    Great to hear about the high school friend...how fun is that!

    ReplyDelete