Monday, January 20, 2014

"Sportsman-like" Conduct

I know, normally I don't jump on bandwagon topics, usually I stick to something personal, but today, I've been reading (and paying attention) to a lot of the hype for the Richard Sherman post-game interview last night.  (Yeah, that's me, buying into the media hoopla -sort of...)

Hear me out.

I will be one of the first to tell you that I am a poor loser.  REALLY poor.  I hate it, with a passion.  Let's face it, losing sucks.  So when I see all the crappy talk towards my Patriots (yes I am a die hard fan, win or lose, it's my team) I get mad, just like everyone else. I get happy when NE beats their archenemies, you know who they are. That doesn't always happen, but when it does, I will guarantee you that it's not me throwing out trash talk when my team wins.  Yes, I am happy and I celebrate in my own home.  I may post something like "Yay! They won!" on FB.  But I won't say anything bad about the teams we play to wish them ill-well, injury or anything like that.  I mean really, they are ALL out there putting their bodies and minds on the line for a "sport".  A paid sport, but a sport nonetheless.  Not a country or a family because it isn't like the military.

That being said, however, I've tried to keep a balanced view for the Sherman comments and here are my thoughts.  Do I think he should be fully punished for his interview?  No.  It was adrenaline and excitement, it was loud and he helped to make a TREMENDOUS play to get his team to the biggest game in football.  Does that give him the right to get ugly and stupid? (and let's be honest here, he didn't SAY anything that had bad words and it was still "G-rated" for TV.)   No, to me it doesn't give him an excuse.  He is a highly paid professional and should be expected to act professional.  But we are all human, we all mess up and let our emotions get the best of us.  Let him do his apologies for maybe offending Erin Andrews and then move on.  People have said and done worse and it's not going to end there.

I am disappointed that more players don't act more like Peyton Manning and Tom Brady, because both in light of the same situation (going to the Super Bowl vs. Not), both acted professionally, congratulated each other and wished each other luck.  Now, Peyton might have gone home to his wife last night and after the kids went to bed (maybe) and screamed at the top of his lungs that he finally kicked Brady's ass when it mattered most!  But, it's in the comfort of his own home and not in front of a billion people world wide on TV.

Why am I writing about this you ask?  Well, it's simple enough really, as a parent, I have to draw the line and know where to teach my kids about being a "good sport" and "gracious loser".  While it sucks to lose, it's still going to happen, and so much of how you are perceived in the world is how you REACT to things rather than the things that happen to you.  My son has inherited the Williams temper and love for winning.  My job is to teach him that, yeah, you're going to get mad and it's going to hurt.  But what makes you a great man is how you handle it.

Kel

No comments:

Post a Comment