Wednesday, January 1, 2014

One of Many, today - I think


"She wouldn’t be making any New Year’s resolutions that would be impossible to keep. Nope. This was the year she would walk through her fears to find her dreams…one small but mighty step at a time." – Queenisms™

Link to their FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/QueenofYourOwnLife

I like this idea. Not to have resolutions but to continue building on what you are already focused on. Find your dreams and take steps to make them happen. No time limits, just moving towards it.

The beauty is in making it through the steps to make it come true.


I've been struggling over the past few months trying to find my direction.  I go through phases like this and I know it's just the change that is all around me finally setting in.

In talking to a friend in FB last night, she reminded me that this year has been just that, an entire year of change.  Having kids will actually make EVERY year a "year of change".  But this year was a little different in the fact that my work and my friendships did the changing too.

I look back on last year and remember how it was all a "reactionary" start to the year dealing with work issues on the very first day back from vacation.  I also remember how I waited for someone to show me the way and teach me the ropes on things that needed to be done.  I won't say I don't need that now, I think I actually need more as each day goes by, but the difference is, I now have an idea on how I want things to go and I am feeling more comfortable in my own shoes, methods, etc.

It's realizing that you are maturing.  It's not just a kid to adult thing.  It's a constant.  The more you learn, it's inevitable.  How you deal with that is what makes your personality.  How you deal with the issues (current and past) is what determines your next steps.

I've been reading a lot of Jon Gordon books over the year, and I have to say, I am very glad that I have.  He is not the only expert in the field, but he's a man out there trying to make a difference by staying positive and trying to teach others to do so as well.

I have been focusing on One Word (http://getoneword.com/) and it took me a while to find it, but like the book tells you, when you "find" it or "hear" it, it will speak to you.  My word this year is "RELEASE".


I have this horrible habit of rehashing, reliving, repeating issues and things that bother me or have made me upset/mad (insert your own adjective here).  This year is about learning to "RELEASE" these items and let go of the parts that are causing angst.  Now, that is not to say that I am going to be oblivious to issues, I will address them as they need to, however once it is resolved or the event itself is over, I will be working to learn from it and move on.  Release the negative that comes from it, take the lesson and apply it going forward.  Sounds easy?  Right?  Somehow, I don't think so.  My family has a tendency to live in or relive the past (and I mean that in it's entirety, not singling out anyone or group).  I also have a huge tendency to let other people influence my feelings and alter my moods.  The empathy while good in a lot of situations, can also be detrimental.  I have let it impact me waaay too much and I need to fix that because deep in my heart, I think that is what will help me keep my happiness and positivity.  I am sure there will be lots of posts for this alone.

So as time goes by and this blog drags on, and on, and on and on...  I am hoping it will be from learning this word and putting it into action.

On this start of the year, it's not to make resolutions, it's to continue living positively, making the right choices, leading with purpose, learning all that there is to learn and living happily.

Much love,
Kel

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kelly,

    How are you?

    I was looking through my reader and clicked on my friends folder and read your posts. Anyway, I hope all is well with you.

    I'll check out the facebook link. I too didn't make any resolutions. I set goals, which are goals that I've been working on for a while, so I'm just improving.

    I deleted my facebook account a while ago and returned about a few months ago. I read your previous post and I felt the same way, but this time, I do things differently and I'm okay with it. I'll reconnect with you on facebook.

    I know your children have grown since I last time I saw pictures of them.

    Take care and have an awesome 2014!!

    Evelyn (Prather) Parham

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Evelyn! It's great to hear from you! I am trying to find that balance from Facebook and how I feel about it. I keep up with a good bit of our classmates there, but to be honest that's about it. It's kind of sad in a way. But, in turn, I've been able to spend more time away from the PC which has been good. I've read more, played with the kids more and such, so it's a good thing. :)

      I am looking forward to hearing more from you! I love your site by the way! You have some great stuff out there. :)

      Have a great start to the year!

      Kelly

      Delete