Saturday, January 18, 2014

Lots to catch up on in a week's (or more) time

Well, it's been a while since I have written, there were times that I wanted to, but, as fate would have it, I didn't have my pc to do so.  Last weekend we replaced my fried laptop (and external hard drive :( )with a desktop.  It made funky noises and before I could back  up a lot of my stuff, it bit the dust. I am saddened by it, but for the most part many of my files were in the "cloud" somewhere.

I got my financial software set back up, my office products were actually the online version so I have that back and so is my photoshop stuff.  I am missing a lot of my actions, but they aren't something I can live without.  I am glad that I posted pictures to Facebook over the year via my laptop or my phone because I would have lost pictures of my kiddos.  As I sit here and type, I am copying my beloved music to a new hard drive (1 TB) that is on our network rather than attached to a pc (i.e. - away from my electrically charged hands/desk/monitor, whathaveyou... ).   Next up will be any pictures I can find.

These past 10 days or so have been challenging and rewarding all at the same time.  Work-wise, I am in the process of making many changes that is not only going to help the team (hopefully), but also prepare myself for being able to step up and volunteer for more to do.  It turns out I have truly enjoyed this job and I have faith in my team to help build it and take it to the next level if they apply themselves.  (I know, a choice they have to make, not me.)

I am taking a trip up to Jacksonville this week and I am excited about it for more than one reason.  I'll get to see one of my employees and take her to lunch to celebrate her making it through the first year without pulling out all of her hair. :)  The day I head back, I will be stopping by my friend (old manager from several years ago) to see her and her family.  Provided her oldest daughter doesn't go into labor before then. :)  (So excited for all of them.  New additions are wonderful!)

She's the one that keeps me grounded through all I do.  Regardless if she says anything or not, it's her that I owe a lot of my success to and I will never forget it.  It's like your favorite teacher in school.  You never forget them.  They just have a way to teach you so much and at the right times.  Suzanne was very patient with me when teaching me things.  (I credit that to her previous managers, Ric and Julie - she always referred to experiences with them that helped her along.)  Anyway, I'm excited to see her again.  I haven't seen her since prior to the Christmas holidays.

There are many other things through out this week too not that I want to get into too much detail, but it's the normal progression for those with daughters.  We had to start "the talk" this week about the changes she is currently going through... those of  you who have experienced this, think "training" and "blossoming" and you will understand.  God help me... (and Frank!).  I miss my baby girl, but I am proud of how well she is doing as she gets older.  Yeah, she drives me nuts, so does the boy, but it's acceptable. :) They are stinkin cute and good kids (in my humble opinion...).

Alex decided to try his acrobatic abilities yesterday with the motorized scooter that we inherited from one of Ashleigh's friends.  Long story short, he flipped ass over tea-kettle and hit his head on the road.  We kept a close eye on him and he showed no signs of trauma so I assume all is well.  I am still watching him and checking and they BOTH have new helmets, (they had one prior to share - Alex out grew the old one long ago) and he hasn't wanted to ride it today.  Not that I can blame him.

I'm heading to Cranberry a week from tomorrow (provided I finish this by midnight...), I am looking forward to the trip.  My team will be helping another group to find a way to design/spec out an application  to help them with their extremely manual process.  My resource has a really good idea on how to start with it and I've told him that I am going to let him run with it and I will do what I am supposed to and supervise/manage and only get truly involved when needed.  We will be needing contract help with it, so I will need to work with my manager to help get that part started/approved.

I will also be spending time with my other resource that is in Cranberry to help get her started through the cleanup items that we have on our plate.  Our management teams (not just my manager) are excited that we are taking this project on and they know it's pretty important.  I am thankful for the support I have received in doing this.

So as you can see, it's been a busy week (or more).  I am hoping to post more regularly now that I have the pc back.  I always have grand ideas for this blog when I am miles away from it... go figure. :(

Anyway, until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment