It's amazing, when you finally figure out that you don't want time to go by as fast, it does go by and at lightning speed. My daughter is turning 10 this month. Wow. !!! 10. My sweet pea. I am amazed daily at the changes that I still see in her and in my son. They are both amazing to me. So very different, yet so much like me and my hubby in many other ways. I won't say it's not without it's set of challenges, but I am so proud of both of them. I want them to know, no matter what happens in the future, they need to know they are loved and by so many people.
You are probably asking yourself, "Why is she going through the sentimental woes???". Well, this past week has been a major blur. It started back on the 23rd of January - I made a trip to Jacksonville, stayed a night, then flew out to Pennsylvania on the following Sunday. I stayed there, froze, met with my team, worked on a project, got sick (am still sick but getting better), came home late on Friday, spent time with the kids and hubby and then yesterday, went to see a very dear friend who was in town. This is where the story really starts.
I have known my friend since moving to TN back in '86, my family and I stayed in TN until '90. She was the best friend and life saver of my sophomore year in high school. In a small town in TN, with no one else to talk to, she let me sit next to her in our Health Occupation Education class. I will admit here and now that was one of the best classes ever. The teacher was a wonderful one too. I still talk to her too, but that's not the point of this story. We became the best of friends and even though life took us in different directions at different times, she is still treasured.
My friend has had the calling to take care of kids all of her life. It's her gift in life. It doesn't matter if it's her biological child or not, they are all hers. And there is no one better. She has a HUGE heart and is an amazing woman.
This weekend, she was supposed to take home another one of those gifts, but something went wrong in the communications/diagnosis/whatever the case may be and the child actually is more than just special needs. One of the sweetest babies I have seen, but he has a disorder that could end his life quicker than predicted or if it's God's will, a little longer than his first year.
The doctors don't have the same faith as my friend, but the diagnosis of his disorder is not in the baby's favor. And really that's not the hard part. The hard part is the decision my friend now faces. She has to make choices that will affect not only her life and the baby's, but of those all around her. It's not an easy, cut/dry answer. My heart breaks for her and the choice that she will eventually make. It doesn't even make a difference to me, because she will have to live with it either way, there is no easy out (not that she would pray for it to be easy, only to be less confused about it). I wish there was something I could do to help her and to help ease her mind and that of her family.
I spent time with her on Sunday and I am so very thankful that I did. I was able to show her that I support her and that she has a friend to lean on (almost 25 years later). You may be wondering still what the whole point of this is... It's to remind you, love those that are around you, tell them, show them and support them when you can. You never know when you may need the reminder or a little bit of help or when you won't be able to, because it's too late.
Sometimes, just telling them how you feel or just talking to them helps them in ways you won't understand. I gave a little bit of my heart to that little guy on Sunday and in return, he showed me a piece of his own heart and a big reminder of why I love my friends. If you can, pray for my friend and the baby. Pray that God shows his will and gives my friend strength to get through this dilemma. Even if a small thought is what you can afford then every bit of it will help.
Tonight I will be thinking of them and praying for them. I will be thankful for all of my friends and family (near and far) and I hope that they realize that if we are friends for a short time, a long time or just in passing, that I am thankful for whatever time we do have.
No comments:
Post a Comment