Sunday, February 9, 2014

I think I can, I think I can...


(Image borrowed from Google search - location is here:  http://365daysofselfcare.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/IMG_8461.jpg )

I just finished reading a great article on the one behavior that causes failure every single time.  I admit, I am guilty of this too.  Did you ever have an idea or an assignment given to you, and as soon as it was communicated you think to yourself, "It's too hard/too expensive/too **fill in the blank**, it will never work..."?  Yeah, admit it you have.  I have had too many to count.

I would bet everyone on my team has had moments like this, including an assignment I currently have them working on.  But you know what?  I have faith that this can be done.  It won't be quick, it won't be easy and it'll actually require some thinking to get it done.  But it can be done.  The difference is believing that you can.  It's the same with almost everything out there.  

Yeah, I can hear the naysayers now:

"I believe I can be a brain surgeon, but you don't see me doing it..." 
"I believe that I can fly, but somehow it's not working..."

You see where I am going with this right?  They are right, in their current mindset and skills, they can't.  HOWEVER... IF THEY REALLY WANTED TO, THEY COULD...

The surgeon "wannabe" could go to school.  It would be a long and drawn out process and they'd have to work really hard, but eventually, they could do it.

The same with the one that wants to fly, if they take the lessons and learn how to pilot a plane, learn to hang glide, learn to skydive, they'd know how to fly.

There are a couple of points I really want to make here.  Never doubt yourself, for one.  That is instant failure.  Another one is learn to think outside the box in which you hold yourself in.  Maybe conventional thinking is what has gotten you in the rut to begin with...  Also, if you don't believe you can do it, then why are you there?  Belief and confidence goes a long way to building your career.  The more of those that you have while working, the happier you will feel in your job.  If you believe you are failing, then how would you ever expect to succeed?  Why would you want to try if you feel that low about it?  Things to think about while I am working on yearly objectives.  

My dad was right... I can do anything I want... If I want it bad enough.  And you know what, it's worked out well for me so far. I love what I do, I believe I can succeed with the help of my team, and I am pretty happy with the opportunities.

(Special thanks to Jana for the idea to go to the Inc. magazine site.  Lots of good info there... Here's the link to the article that gave me the "AH HA" moment: Inc. Mag - The One Behavior That Guarantees Failure )

I hope everyone has a great and positive week ahead.

Kel

No comments:

Post a Comment