Sunday, October 10, 2010

20 Songs That Haven't Left Me... (part 2)

OK, the last part to the 20 songs that haven't left me:

The River of Dreams - Billy Joel
To me, it's about a man who is searching for his "beliefs".  He starts in the smallest area, then works his way to realize that it has always been there all he had to do was believe from the beginning.  A journey, if you will.  Funny, that's what life is like isn't it?  A journey.  Treat it as such.  There will be hills, valleys, rivers without bridges that you will have to work through and walls to climb, but so far for me?  It's all been worth it.

Hard Habit to Break - Chicago

A song from the early 80's that has truly never left me.  It still reminds me of my times in high school and struggles that I thought then were massive.  Little did I know, that those memories would stick as hard as they did.  I am thankful for the lessons and the friendships that developed as a result of some of those struggles.  I learned to be strong and I learned to deal with some of the pain.  I also learned the lessons of dealing with choices you make.  A life lesson, for sure.

With Arms Wide Open - Creed (I cried when I listened to this after finding out I was pregnant w/my first) :)
There really is no explanation needed here.  Really seems to be a heartfelt song about bringing a miracle into the world.  I was fortunate to be able to do it twice.  They are my soul, my happiness and my challenge in life now.  I wouldn't change it for the world and I hope I am able to do right by them. :)

Open Up Your Eyes - Daughtry

There are many ways to interpret this song.  It could be about a grieving wife who dealt with a sick husband, it can be about a grieving mother who lost her child, it could be many things.  Either way, it's about letting go of pain - unfortunately by dying.  

For the first time you can open your eyes
And see the world without your sorrow
Where no one knows the pain you left behind
And all the peace you could never find
Is waiting there to hold and keep you
Welcome to the first day of your life

Photograph - Def Leppard - the song and album that started it all for me. :) Really no explanation.  I lusted for Joe Elliot and was introduced to something other than "pop" music.  Ahhh... the life.. :)

The Garden of Allah - Don Henley
The story of corruption.  That's really all this is.  The world is getting worse by the moment to where you won't be able to tell the good guys from the bad guys.  They'll all be bad in the end and we won't know what good means.  We'll all just think that mediocre is the way to go from now on... 
"Today I made and appearance downtown
I am an expert witness, because I say I am
And I said, 'Gentleman....and I use that word loosely...I will testify for you
I'm a gun for hire, I'm a saint, I'm a liar
Because there are no facts, no truth, just data to be manipulated
I can get you any result you like....what's it worth to ya?
Because there is no wrong, there is no right
And I sleep very well at night
No shame, no solution
No remorse, no retribution
Just people selling t-shirts
just opportunity t participate in this pathetic little circus
And winning, winning, winning' "
Ordinary World - Duran Duran

The struggle to move on can make you feel insane.  You hear the voices, the thoughts of what is perceived to be others.  Again, the goal is to keep moving on and make it through, eventually, you will get there.  Easier for some than others.  

And I don't cry for yesterday
There's an ordinary world
Somehow I have to find
And as I try to make my way
To the ordinary world
I will learn to survive

Every one
Is my world, I will learn to survive
Any one
Is my world, I will learn to survive
Any one
Is my world
Every one
Is my world 

Get Over It - Eagles

Right now, the reasoning for this one is personal.  Not ready to type it out for fear of what it will do to others who will read this.  The person this is directed towards, may not even read it.  And if they do?  Get a clue. 

You drag it around like a ball and chain 
You wallow in the guilt; you wallow in the pain 
You wave it like a flag, you wear it like a crown 
Got your mind in the gutter, bringin' everybody down 
Complain about the present and blame it on the past 
I'd like to find your inner child and kick its little ass 

No comments:

Post a Comment