20 songs that have never left me (in no particular order). If you were to ask me to do this again tomorrow, it will change. My thoughts change how I view music. Today, it's a reflective kind of day. I think I'll take this list and break it down in the blog. Something tells me that this is something I want to explore today...
"Show me I meant something and that you feel nothing by your world crashing to the ground..."
This song is for those that have suffered a heart break and the one who left didn't seem to, or if they did, they didn't show it. One or two have happened to me. One day I will find out that they did too. Just to show that it meant something to someone at some point in time. It wasn't all for naught.
Savin' Me - Nickelback -
Everybody's Fool - Evanescence -
Savin' Me - Nickelback -
"And say it for me, say it to me
And I'll leave this life behind me Say it if it's worth saving me..."
This to me represents trying to get/give hope to someone who has lost their way. Everyone is worth the effort. No one deserves to be alone and unloved. Even if it's just family, there is always hope. (I know pessimists will unite against me on this, but it's a personal belief. There is always hope and it can ALWAYS be worse than what it is.)
Everybody's Fool - Evanescence -
...Without the mask
Where will you hide?
Can't find yourself,
Lost in your lie
I know the truth now
I know who you are
And I don't love you anymore
It never was and never will be
You don't know how you've betrayed me
And somehow you've got everybody fooled
It never was and never will be
You're not real and you can't save me
And somehow now you're everybody's fool
This is for those who pretend to be something that they aren't and the lies that they put around the facade. If you can't be yourself, then why bother? Someone finally caught in their own game and losing. Yeah, I know exactly where this applies. "...No flaws when you're pretending..."
Little Wonders - Rob Thomas
"Let it slide, let your troubles fall behind you
Let it shine until you feel it all around you
And I don't mind if it's me you need to turn to
We'll get by, it's the heart that really matters in the end..."
"All of my regret will wash away somehow
But I cannot forget the way I feel right now
In these small hours
These little wonders, these twists and turns of fate
Yeah, these twists and turns of fate..."
This song is part of what I want to instill in my children. Life is about the small hours, the times you are enjoying yourselves and making memories. Yes, there will be hard times, hard choices and just a hard world. How you react to these hard times though is what defines you as a person. You can let it harden you, let it make you bitter and you can let it turn your views against the world. Or... You can take the hardness as a lesson learned, apply it to how you deal with things in the future, and move on. If you choose to let it sap your energy, keep you from moving forward, then, it is your reaction to it, not the actual event. He also points out that you aren't expected to do it alone. REACH our and ask for help if needed, we aren't alone in this world, sometimes it just feels like it...
Permanent - David Cook
This whole song is raw emotion. I knew it had to be personal even before I read who inspired this song for David Cook -(I don't watch Idol, so I didn't know any history on him). I think, though, it can be applied to anyone who has watched someone going through illness/dying/pain that is hard to live through. I personally think it's important to remind those that you love, that even while you are not there physically that your thoughts are there with them and you would do anything to help them if needed.
"Will you think that you're all alone
When no one's there to hold your hand?
When all you know seems so far away
And everything is temporary, rest your head
I'm permanent"
It pains me to think that I have family members that I cannot just go over to and hug or hold their hands when I want to. I know it's hard to live and take care of your own family so far away. Again, choices that we have to make that makes life more challenging if you will...
Down the Drain - Chickenfoot
Nothing special about the lyrics for this one. I love Sammy Hagar and Joe Satriani together - it's just magic when they play together. :) I was lucky enough to see them in person at the Tabernacle in Atlanta - front row seats of the balcony. I even told Sammy I loved him when he left. He just smiled at me... Life at that moment was perfect. I saw an idol of mine and he saw me. :) He won't remember it, but I do. That's all that matters to me.
Leave Out All the Rest - Linkin' Park
When my time comes
Forget the wrong that I've done
Help me leave behind some
Reasons to be missed
Don't resent me
And when you're feeling empty
Keep me in your memory
Leave out all the rest
Leave out all the rest
Woman in Chains - Tears for Fears
Talks about a woman being held prisoner, by the lyrics, it's about someone using her body to pay the bills for whatever reason - she was abused, she's a runaway, she's poor and needs to for food/rent/drugs... whatever the reason, no woman should feel hostage to sex/prostitution. It's a hard world, I get that part, but that doesn't make it right. I know it's not a happy ending a majority of the time in these scenarios, but in this one song, you get to hope that it is.
Enough for Now - The Fray
This is a pretty sad song when you listen to the words too. The music is beautiful and how he sings it is fantastic. It's about a father who was pretty hard, I assume due to how he was raised with their own culture and ideas on what made the family name carry on (i.e. a son to carry the name, girls don't fit the bill, you know the whole chauvinistic thing...) It sounds like he was a cold man who either didn't or couldn't love his family for what it was. What a painful existence it must have been for those he left behind who will never know the "right way" to love a family.
Sixty years of sorrow he got 5 or 6 of bliss
Left my mother’s mother without so much as a kiss
One - U2
I was completely taken aback when we saw them in concert the very first time. They were wonderful, awesome and all they were touted to be. When they came back to Atlanta on the same tour, it was not long after the tragedy of 9/11. They played this song and they showed the names of all who died in the towers and the pentagon flight. There wasn't a dry eye in the house including mine. I will NEVER forget it.
Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own - U2 -
A song that Bono wrote for his dad, who battled the last stages of cancer during the Elevation tour. He flew back when ever he could to sit by his side and he sang this song at his funeral. They didn't get along when Bono was younger, but as they both got older the relationship worked into something different. You can hear it in the lyrics. And he credits his dad for his singing ability (he used to make him take lessons and sing opera - the man can sing, let me tell you). I was very touched and it reminds me of my relationship with my mom. I love her and I know we are alike in so many ways and so different in others. That's what makes us the best of friends now and I wouldn't change a thing. :)
Everything - Lifehouse
A song that makes me think of my husband every time. My soul mate, my best friend and the one who keeps me going when there is nothing else to lean on. I found the best that there is and he married me. Wow... what a great man. :)
You calm the storms, and you give me rest.
You hold me in your hands, you won't let me fall.
You steal my heart, and you take my breath away.
Would you take me in? Take me deeper now?
That's the first 10. I will post the next 10 in another post...
Until l8r,
Kel
No comments:
Post a Comment