It has been a crazy day today… it started out with me getting up this morning at 6:30 for a 7:30 doctor’s appointment. A complete physical. And based on today’s experiences, I have NEVER had a full one before now. Surprisingly enough when I finished giving my “sample”, there was a gown and EKG leads awaiting my return in the room. !!! EKG? Never had one before and based on my family history, even a routine one is enough to send people into a panic. Well, the good news is, it came back normal (the praying for no pvc’s worked). I had blood work done, no visit to a doctor’s office is complete without a visit to the vampire lair anymore. And I won myself a ticket to the x-ray machine to, to check on the asthmatic lungs. I am guessing the various results for all of these will be in next week, but since I had most of the blood work done LAST month for my arthritic pinky finger… yes, I had to go because it was swollen and looked like it was broken… They ran tests for that too and the good news there is that I don’t have gout. Amazing what a little vampire work can do for you these days.
So then, I come home, Frank is here working and eating his chicken biscuit. I fixed some scrambled eggs with cheese and pico de gallo for me… yummy stuff! Then I head upstairs to start work. Get up to the desk… push the enter key to wake up the monitor and the hard drive kicked into gear, but the monitor stayed black. Hmmmmm… ok, this is the 2nd or 3rd time in a week that this has happened. Check the cables, nope. Check the power switch, off then on again… nope. Check the pc, yep everything else seems to be humming along. Lift the lid to the laptop, nothing… blank screen there too… DAMN. Hard boot it to restart, it comes back up fine and dandy, it has the normal “your system has suffered…” blah blah blah… ok, nothing has changed on the configuration of this pc in months. Send the message to the Microsoft site to see what it says. Comes back with the video driver. UGH – again nothing has happened other than patches from the automatic updates. So… I finally get it back on and before I can even log into VPN, my manager’s manager is pinging me via IM. Call me… Great. Her first day back from her vacation. No offense to her, but I “really” wasn’t in the mood. So, we get set off on a firedrill for a pending migration into our tool. And it just continued from there. I had a training class to give for the Report builder tool I support. It was actually a good class, we normally have a handful of people joining… today – 24… 24… 3 times the maximum limit of previous classes not set up specially for a group. I was amazed. Happy because that means our stuff is being used and they want more, but really today??? Then I had another user that was looking at the wrong field and telling us that our data was out of synch – it wasn’t, but we looked anyway because at this point, we cannot be too careful. I could go on and on at this point and bore you even more with details, but suffice it to say I was on the phone for 6 out of my 8 hours of work today.
But you know, in reality, I really do love my job. I love interacting with the people I work with. I actually have fun most of the time. I mean, hell, if you are going to be there, you might as well make the best of it. There are many more, and a few people I know personally this time, were added to the list last week, that no longer have jobs. We were yet again hit with the infamous “RIF”, or Reduction in Force… common layman’s terms, layoffs. We were warned that it could happen after the merger, so it wasn’t a complete shock other than our group was already down to 4 and we lost another one. I work for a banking industry company, so it shouldn’t be too surprising to me. After all the economy sucks. They say we are coming out of it and me moving will show part of it is true, but what about for those who are still looking or just lost their jobs? I dunno… I think anything can be turned in any direction to show either a positive or a negative spin on things. I am sorry for those who are looking or just starting to look. And GOD knows I am VERY thankful for what I have. I am more blessed with my job, family, friends and other things that I couldn’t cover it in years worth of writing. But when I read from my “Art of Happiness” book about having compassion and all and where do you draw the line between compassion and your own depression? I’m going to have to keep adjusting on this, because I am happy quite a bit of the time, but when I think of others and try to empathize/sympathize/pray/meditate on all that has happened to many I know, it’s hard to keep myself from that pit of worrying. Not like I don’t have my own fair share of things to worry about, ya know?
I started talking to the doctor today about the meltdowns I had last month during what I would say was one of my most stressful moments in my entire life (funny how kids have that effect, eh?), all I got was that deal with it in stride… In stride. I love my doctor, she’s as cool as can be, but I guess at some point I should just say, “Can I have some valium so I don’t commit a murder somewhere for treating my child badly or just pissing me off in general? Kthxbai”. Yes, I think that would have helped last month when it all came to a volcanic eruption. The house, family, kids, work, rain, traffic, bad day in general… yep, recipe for meltdown. Don’t feel bad though, I did “deal with it in stride”. I have a few scars emotionally from it, but overall, it was a lesson learned, so you can’t knock those.
So overall, today wasn’t horrific, just one thing right after another… I have to be careful of how I view things, because I know Murphy is always around the corner and it can ALWAYS get worse.
Until l8r…
Kel
No comments:
Post a Comment