Saturday, November 1, 2014

Hello?

You know, it's funny. The other day I was thinking about how people don't talk on the phone much anymore. They are either sending a text message, an IM through a chat software or an email.

Then I started thinking about the different ways that people I knew in the past would answer the phone.

I thought about my father-in-law, Tom. He would always say, "nnHello?" and then when he realized it was someone he knew, he'd say, "Well, hey there!"

I thought about my Dad who would say, "Hi Keddy!" when he found out it was me. J I miss that.

I can hear my grandfather when he'd pick up the phone, "yHello?"

I can also hear one of the last conversations with my Uncle Frankie, "Hello?" "Hi, Uncle Frankie!" "Hello? It's the other end of the phone speaking…"


 

Yeah, they are odd things to remember, but it was one of those fleeting moments where a smile crept to my face in remembrance of several people in my life that I talked to and I still miss very much. There are many more, but somehow, it's the male voices that stick in my head. Don't get me wrong, I can hear my Aunt Sheila and my grandmother, K, also but for them, I hear their laughs rather than how they answer the phone.

You may be wondering why this matters or why I have decided to write about this. I am going to try and type out some memories that I have of people that are no longer here anymore because I think it's important that my kids know it's ok to miss people who have gone on, plus, I don't want to forget them myself. Especially the ones that make me smile.

I won't say I am going to type it out every day, because we all know I suck at keeping a writing schedule. But I do want to fill the blog up more with things that will help my kids know who I am one day when I have gone on too. I don't want them to go without knowing some tidbit or morsel about family and memories so that they too can learn to remember that it's the little things in life that make you smile, not just the big occasions or events in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment