Friday, July 18, 2008

Thursday, July 17 - SBD Daily Opener

Attitude is Everything
"Our lives are not determined by what happens to us, but by how we react to what happens; not by what life brings to us, but by the attitude we bring to life. A positive attitude causes a chain reaction of positive thoughts, events and outcomes. It is a catalyst...a spark that creates extraordinary results." -->-->-->
I touched on this briefly in one of my one a days and decided to revisit it a bit for the Thursday opener (Laurie, I hope you like this one).
--> -->
I’ll go ahead and put a disclaimer upfront – I know that there are many things that you cannot just “think” your way out of and this is not a post to address those. This post is to try and get someone, anyone, at least one, myself to view something in a different light. If I have caught your attention, please feel free to read on.


Here you see a picture that is dramatic and spectacular at the same time:
This picture of lightning was taken at night, and yet the sky seems so different and exciting on that side. But think about it, all it took was one streak of lightning to change the perspective of what this normally looks like at night. Believe me, without the lightning, it's pretty boring. It's the tree line above my neighbor's house across the street.
Perspective. A word that basically means “point of view”. Just like opinions, everyone has their own point of view on things. Just like how they pronounce words – Toe mato, to mah to… same word different pronunciations.


Here I have copied some information from the internet on positive attitude (my comments are in blue):
-->--> -->
The Power of Positive Attitude
by Remez Sasson
Positive attitude helps to cope more easily with the daily affairs of life. It brings optimism into your life, and makes it easier to avoid worry and negative thinking. If you adopt it as a way of life, it will bring constructive changes into your life, and makes them happier, brighter and more successful. With a positive attitude you see the bright side of life, become optimistic and expect the best to happen. It is certainly a state of mind that is well worth developing and strengthening.


Positive attitude manifests in the following ways:

Positive thinking. Thinking positively about SB Living. Yes, we can do it one meal at a time, it is possible!

Constructive thinking. Thoughts like, “I did good to choose the salad and lowfat dressing, instead of the butter laden rolls.” Or “I am so proud of the fact that instead of going to the kitchen to console my feelings, I went to the message boards and they were SO supportive!”

Creative thinking. Coming up with ways to eat new, healthier foods. Choosing to try an eggplant and how to cook it or giving edamame a shot, even though you don’t know how to pronounce it (ed a mam ey).

Expecting success. I expect myself to stick to the program one meal at a time. I expect that I will choose the right foods rather than the white flours or sugars.

Optimism. – Expect it to be successful for the day or even just for the meal. One small step after another makes a path, the path leads to a small goal, the small goal builds into bigger goals. But you never get there if you don’t take that first small step. Besides, what to you have to lose, other than weight?

Motivation to accomplish your goals. - This one is getting easier for me, but it’s not anywhere close to what it needs to be; but it’s something I am working on. Motivation – there’s plenty to be had – better fitting clothes, better bloodwork numbers, better reports from doctors removing medicines. All of these should factor into your motivation – not just the number sign in front of the lbs.

Being inspired. – That’s where these message boards come in. Be inspired. Look at some of the charts of those that have been following the steps identified above. Annie, Laurie, Maria, Babs, Ernie, Lynn, Teresa… They are all showing numbers lost that when you first start – seem intimidating. Then you think to yourself… wait… They had to start somewhere. And even though several are in stalls/plateaus, where do you see them come, day after day? That’s right. Here. To be inspired by us as much as they inspire us.

There are more items for the list, but I am going to save those for my next openers. I have 2 more that I will be covering for Laurie in the coming month.

I realize that there are several who have other reasons that they cannot always “choose” the bright side of things, and believe me, having gone through depression myself, I know it is not something that can just be turned on or a switch flipped and all is better. However, as stated before, your motivations and inspirations can help you achieve a step in the right direction for the healing processes.

My goal for this one is to get you thinking about the inspiration and your attitude towards why you are here and I hope that this gets it started.

Have a great Thursday. If nothing else, we are one day closer to the weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment