Monday, December 24, 2007

Christmas Reflections

Here I sit, it's 9:00 pm on Christmas Eve and yet while all the presents are wrapped, the kids are in bed (not asleep yet) and Frank is downstairs playing Dark Cloud 2 on the PS3, I still fill like I haven't done something.

Tom and Gale were here to celebrate Christmas today, they came like most grandparents do, bearing gifts, smiles, baked goods and happiness. Tom finally popped the question to Gale! Yeah! They both deserve the happiness they have found in each other. Two terrific people whom I admire greatly and couldn't be happier for.

Ashleigh and Alex made out like bandits, as always. I talked to Mom, gave her the run down on everything that happened today, including the gift from my brother and sister in law – get this, a keychain/zipper pull made of fake rhinestones in the shape of an H, a T-shirt with an iron decal about freedom of speech, the DaVinci Code movie and 12 32 oz plastic cups with Coca Cola on them. Now I get why I got the coca cola part of it, they think I collect it. Which, I was collecting some of the coke green glassware a while back but it's been a long time. But plastic? Come on… I will have to admit, they usually are not good at picking out gifts for me, they never have been, but I think the plastic cups did me in this year. While I try not to be ungrateful and I understand about crunching the budget, etc. But wouldn't it have served a better purpose to give me a $10 gift card somewhere? That's what I usually ask for, even though, this year there was not a request for a list, they never buy from it when I do send it anyway. I am thankful they thought of me for a present, but like I said previously, I would much prefer to spend the $5 – 10 my way and be happy with it.

Then, I get the reminder today about what Christmas is. Ashleigh and I went to the store to get some milk and a few things to help get us through tomorrow while everything is closed. We go walking into the store, get her in the cart and wheel towards the deli. On our way, a sweet little blonde haired girl walks up to us and hands us this good sized teddy bear dressed for Christmas. She says Merry Christmas and hands it to Ashleigh. WOW! OK, I am thinking it's the little girl trying to get everyone to buy one for their kids. Her dad was standing there and tells us that his daughter is learning about the meaning of Christmas and tells us to keep it. (i.e a gift! – from one stranger to another one) How Sweet! Then when I tell Ashleigh to say Merry Christmas and tell the little girl her name, Ashleigh does, then the little girl tells us hers. Her name is Miranda. Oh my! This is the same little girl that used to be in Ashleigh's class when she was at Primrose! What a beautiful little girl she has turned into and her dad is helping her learn the meaning of Christmas… the last time I had seen him at Primrose, he was a jerk. OK, so the lesson learned here? There are nice people in the world and not everyone is as they seem. I looked up, and said, "OK, Dad, I get it." He was sending the gentle reminder to not forget what it really is about. Giving, family and love.

And yet it still seems a bit empty. The first one without Daddy. I can't imagine how my mom must feel right now. I don't think she has ever had a Christmas completely alone. I wish I could be there with her or she could come down, but because Alex and I got sick, she can't take that chance. L She got part of a Christmas present today, even though I am sure she'd trade it all for him to come back, the insurance money came in today. Thank God. Now I don't have to worry about that part of her moving forward. Just the personal stuff now. I told her that I would come up in the first of January to help her get things settled down (IRS, insurance, etc).

I miss him dearly and wish he were here to see Ashleigh with her first bike and all (Nana and Buppy too!), but I know that some how some way, he'll be watching. He wouldn't miss something like this. I know my dad. He'll be watching.

We'll be going down to south GA on Friday and coming back on Saturday; should be an interesting visit. Tom and Gale perked up a bit when I said the champagne type that I like. Something tells me that they are interested in seeing how I am in a "less restrained" environment. Ha! Like I don't say what I mean when I think it now.

Kim and Housten may actually come up. I'll be shocked if they do. My luck, I'll have to drive down to Valdosta with a hangover. We'll see.

Oh well, I hear Frank downstairs cleaning the kitchen. I guess I need to get down there and help out so we can get "Santa's" stuff ready.

Until later,

Kel

No comments:

Post a Comment